The KOKUYO DESIGN AWARD is an international product design competition that’s all about imagining and creating the future together. It gathers proposals from all around the world, and turns outstanding entries into commercial products.
The KOKUYO DESIGN AWARD 2022 will be the 19th competition, and this time, we’ll be calling for works based on the theme “UNLEARNING.” With the pandemic making latent issues in society more manifest, the theme is about resetting the knowledge and senses we’ve never questioned before and the experiences we’ve accumulated up to now, and exploring what designs can be created by imagining ideal futures for each of us.
—The main application guidelines for the KOKUYO DESIGN AWARD 2022
1. Theme: UNLEARNING
The world is about to undergo a drastic change.
Will it be economics, science, information,
or the power of creativity that will topple the old framework?
Creating a new norm and determining the shape of the future
in a place far away from human senses is too restrictive.
Design can defy, design can criticize,
design can show diversity, and even destroy knowledge and ideals.
Let’s rebuild the relationship between objects and design
by focusing once again on the truth that no one has ever doubted.
When society, ideas, people and lifestyles are in turmoil,
there are no absolutes. The grand design lies beyond “UNLEARNING”.
2. Eligible entries:
Any stationery, furniture or tool used in working, learning and living scenes
3. Registration and submission:
August 20 to 12:00 (noon) JST on October 15, 2021
– Masashi Kawamura (Chief Creative Officer of Whatever Inc.)
– Tsuyoshi Tane (Founder of Atelier Tsuyoshi Tane Architects / Architect)
– Teruhiro Yanagihara (Designer)
– Satoshi Yoshiizumi (Principal of TAKT PROJECT Inc. / Designer)
– Hidekuni Kuroda (KOKUYO Co., Ltd. President and CEO)
– Grand Prix (one from all entries) ¥2,000,000 (about $18,000)
– Merit Award (three from all entries) ¥500,000 (about $4,500) / winner
*Prize money will be paid net of withholding tax, surtax for reconstruction funding, and other applicable deductions.
*Not all prizes may be awarded for all categories if there is no winner selected.
*The amount shown in dollar is that calculated at the time of publication. The prize will be calculated according to the exchange rate at the time of payment, from the amount shown in Japanese yen.
6. Judging criteria:
– The design’s interpretation of the theme
– The design’s level of completion
– The design’s potential to become a product
7. Award announcements:
March 12, 2022 [tentative]